In the guest chair:
Sonia Booker, Principal at Sonia Booker Enterprises and Author of “Real Estate and Wealth: Investing in the American Dream” joined Dana to talk wealth and how the definition can vary from person to person. To discuss the upcoming Decatur Book Festival, Phillip Rafshoon, Program Director for the event also appeared on the show.
Sonia Booker is one of the nation’s leading “Go To” wealth experts. Known for her down-to-earth approach, her messages are inspirational and empowering. Self-determination led Sonia to national prominence, first recognized by Allstate as one of their Top Agents, at the age of 24. After selling her profitable insurance agency, Sonia transitioned into real estate investing, owning and partnering in several successful and non-successful ventures.
The AJC Decatur Book Festival is the largest independent book festival in the country and one of the five largest overall. Each year, hundreds of world-class authors and 85,000-90,000 festival-goers crowd the historic downtown Decatur square to enjoy book signings, author readings, panel discussions, an interactive children’s area, live music, parades, cooking demonstrations, poetry slams, writing workshops, and more. The 10th Annual Festival takes place Labor Day weekend, September 4-6, 2015.
In the headlines:
- The markets were back up yesterday… in fact the Dow went up 619 points… it’s 3rd biggest gain ever.
- The former Subway pitchman, Jared Fogle is not just a total creeper…he’s also a jerk. His charity raised $650,000 to help the fight against childhood obesity, but less than a quarter of that money went to the cause.
- Burger King made a public pitch to McDonald’s to pair up for a good cause. But McDonald’s was not having it. Their response was (IMHO) pretty condescending. So, did either side of the so-called “burger wars” do the right thing here? Or were they both wrong?
- Ever wonder how big the pay gap is in Atlanta between the CEOs and the people that work for them? Well, public companies will have to release this information in the year 2017. For now, the biz chron got a jump on the Atlanta companies and released a list. Are you okay with these guys making 10 times more than their average worker? What about 20 times? Well guess what… the numbers are more like 300 to 500 times what the average guy makes. Pretty crazy when you think about it.
- And the Delta Airlines flight attendants now know more about you when you board a plane. They have a new app on their mobile devices that will give them the ability to “recognize high-value customers and better serve those on board who may need extra assistance or attention.” Delta says, “As the tool evolves, they’ll also be able to proactively provide customers with the status of down-line flights and connecting gate information.”
Join us Monday, September 21st for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! Get ready to use the power of relationships to connect and help your colleagues, friends, and associates and increase you personal success so that everyone wins! This month’s selection is NEVER EAT ALONE: and other secrets to success, one relationship at a time by Keith Ferrazzi. We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.