In the guest chair:
Nancy Rafuse, the National Labor and Employment Practice Chair at Polsinelli and Managing Partner of the Atlanta office, joined me in the studio today to talk about what companies can and should find out about a candidate before hiring them. Nancy shared the ins and outs of what you can learn from both background and credit checks and when they should and should not be used.
We also talked about “ban the box” legislation, (the box being the check box on job applications that asks if you have a criminal record) and why employers by and large are against the ban.
In the headlines:
- A Vegas entrepreneur has sold the domain name Ebola.com to a Russian marijuana company.
- Atlanta Hawks CEO Steve Koonin has disbanded the teams “business ambassadors”. The group was just about a year old.
- Delta CEO Richard Anderson has sold off $3.9 million of stock (about 100,000 shares). Don’t worry he still has a million more.
- Actress Halle Berry making business headlines over two things. 1 – Her new lingerie line for Target stores. And 2 – being the primary breadwinner in a child custody dispute with her ex-boyfriend, model Gabriel Aubry, who she says refuses to get a job.
- And The Allman Brothers played their final show yesterday in New York.
Wanna know why we do the things we do? Join The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club for a discussion of THE POWER OF HABIT by Charles Duhigg on Monday November 10th at South City Kitchen in Vinings! Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/
Retail shopping on Thanksgiving is not cool. Eat turkey. Watch football. Have a glass of wine. Hug your family. Or fight with them. Either way don’t go to the mall. And maybe encourage others to stay away too! #savethanksgiving #boycottmacys #boycottblackthursday #StopBlackThursday
And really, I know I say the same things every year at this time… but while I’m complaining, can we stop with the sexy Halloween costumes? Seriously, if you want to be sexy, be sexy every day. A cheesy, store-bought, so-called sexy nurse/bumblebee/taxi driver costume is not actually sexy, it’s just desperate.