In the guest chair:
The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company is a U.S. financial services mutual organization based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Its products include life insurance, long-term care insurance, disability insurance, annuities, mutual funds, and employee benefit services. Northwestern Mutual also provides consultation on asset and income protection, personal needs, investments, financial planning, estate planning, trusts, business needs, retirement, and employee benefits.
In the headlines:
- The Gwinnett Center has sold its soul… uh, we mean its naming rights, and will from here on out be known as the Infinite Energy Center. Infinite Energy is a natural gas provider.
- Williams-Sonoma will be opening a huge new store at Ponce City Market. It’s a new concept for the brand, called Williams-Sonoma Home Showroom and Design Center. The Atlanta store will be the 5th in the nation and its first in the South.
- A new music venue and restaurant is set to open in the Old Fourth Ward. Venkman’s will open up shop at the old NuGrape Soda Factory overlooking Ponce City Market and Old Fourth Ward Park. The establishment is backed by Nicholas Niespodziani, Peter Olson (of Yacht Rock fame) and chef Nick Melvin of Doux South Pickles.
- Georgia Tech is launching an Internet of Things Research Center. The Center for the Development and Application of Internet-of-Things Technologies (CDAIT) is backed financially by Samsung Electronics, AT&T and AirWatch by VMware.
- Universal Studios had another big box off hit this past weekend with Straight Outta Compton. The studio has been killing it this year with big and low budget movies. In fact, 9 out of 10 Universal films this year have been profitable. Including Jurassic World, Furious 7, Minions, Pitch Perfect 2, Trainwreck, Shades of Grey and now Straight Outta Compton. The only loser so far for them… Ted 2. Um, duh.
- And GE is doing away with the annual performance review!!!!! Yay!! Go GE. Call Dana if you’re hiring radio and TV hosts… she wants to come work there.
Join us Monday, September 21st for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! Get ready to use the power of relationships to connect and help your colleagues, friends, and associates and increase you personal success so that everyone wins! This month’s selection is NEVER EAT ALONE: and other secrets to success, one relationship at a time by Keith Ferrazzi. We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.