In the guest chair:
SeanMcGinnis, Publisher for Atlanta Magazine and Jonathan Colon, Event Producer with Atlanta Bar Tours joined Dana live in studio for a chat about the Best of Atlanta Party (coming up on March 4th), Valentine’s Day and pub crawls.
Since 1961, Atlanta magazine has covered local news and opinion, lifestyle, and dining and is described by Time as “the father of city magazines.”
Atlanta Bar Tours is home to Atlanta’s pub crawls and events since 2001 and includes the bar district areas of Buckhead, Highlands, Downtown and Midtown. To join in on their Beads & Booze event TONIGHT at Virginia Highlands, visit: http://bit.ly/1E7EvzS.
In the headlines:
- A Georgia state senator (representing Atlanta) has filed a bill seeking to extend the city limits of Atlanta north to include the 60-acre Cobb County tract where the Braves are building a new $672 million stadium and $400 million mixed-use development. That’s just cray cray.
- While we’re on the Braves and moving… the team may have to think about relocating for spring training. They’re currently training at a Disney facility in Orlando, but now two more teams who were close by are leaving the area (which means there will only be one MLB team nearby for them to play against).
- NCR has said they expect to save money in their move from Duluth to Midtown. They’ve also said they will lease their Midtown location rather than buy. So if the move is good for NCR all around, why did Atlanta have to offer a $3.2 million grant to get them to move? Just askin’.
- Georgia Power has begun a rebate for residential customers and builders who install EV charging stations: $250 for residents and $100 to builders for installing a Level 2 (240-volt) charger.
- Mayor Reed is in New York this week for China Trade forum. Did you know that China represents Georgia’s second-largest export market with exports to China totaling $3.7 billion in 2013 (a 55% increase since 2010)?
- Facebook has a new, weird, but necessary feature: you can now assign someone to take over your account if you die. Or you can request that the account be shut down after your death.
Get the inside scoop on Amazon and how founder, Jeff Bezos took the online company from bookseller to a store with limitless selection. Join The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club for a discussion of THE EVERYTHING STORE: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon by Brad Stone on Monday, March 9th at South City Kitchen in Vinings! Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.