In the guest chair:
This morning Dana had the pleasure of hosting five very successful and business savvy guests. Felicia Ruiz & Regina Weir of Factory Girls ATL stopped by the studio to give the scoop on how their business is changing the fashion industry. Factory Girls is a fashion incubator focused on high-level apparel designers based in the Southeast. They provide studio space, access to pattern makers, sample makers and production, all in our facility in Atlanta. They are passionate about growing the local fashion design industry, by creating a fertile ground for local talent to flourish.
Author, Lisa Nichols phoned in to dish on her newest book “ Abundance Now” and to give some words of wisdom and encouragement about never giving up. Nichols is one of only two African-American female founders to take her own company, Motivating the Masses, Inc., public. Nichols co-authored Jack Canfield’s Chicken Soup for the African-American Soul (2004), as well as Chicken Soup for the African-American Woman’s Soul (2012). A featured teacher in the self-help movie The Secret, Nichols teaches, coaches and lives a collection of life principles, beliefs and habits that inspire people to live better, fuller, richer lives.
Jim Colton, of Jim Colton Hypnosis was in to give an inside look to his unique business and explained how hypnosis could be the answer to stopping your stress. Jim helps people subconsciously deal with life’s little – and not so little – issues. Most people see Jim about weight loss, stress reduction, and stopping smoking, but he also helps people with public speaking, fears, phobias, anxieties, and reinventing themselves. Hypnosis is the only way to intentionally reach the subconscious mind, which is where our memories, emotions, and creativity reside.
Sukant Jain, CEO of Homselfe phoned in to explain how his innovative business can help you save on your bills. Homeselfe is the most comprehensive and innovative do-it-yourself home energy evaluation in the marketplace allowing energy conscious homeowners to reduce their overall energy consumption. It is a free, do-it-yourself tool providing homeowners with a clear picture of their energy use, a path to a more energy efficient home, money-saving tips, energy rebate information, and access to qualified local contractors to perform energy upgrades.
In the national headlines:
- It’s official you can order your Oculus Rift virtual reality headset for the low, low price of $599. And – if you order right now, we’ll throw in a second pair free. You simply pay shipping and handling of $599. ?
- Macy’s is circling the drain and blaming the weather. Oh Macy’s. The retailer saying they will cut costs and jobs after a disappointing December. And not kidding they blamed the warmer than usual December saying people were less interested in buying coats and other cold weather gear. Seriously?
- How do you feel about bidding on first class or business class upgrades on your next flight. Apparently this is the new thing. According to WSJ.com, more than 30 airlines around the world now offer auctions to sell upgrades to first-class, business-class or premium-economy seats. More will be launching auctions in 2016. Some even auction off the chance to have an empty seat beside you in coach. Virgin Atlantic and American Airlines have tested the idea with good results but haven’t rolled it out to all flights. Delta is in wait and see mode.
In the local headlines:
- Sharecare announced another big partnership at CES this week. The latest news: the digital health platform will be partnering with Blackberry to take advantage of their secure messaging app BBM. Look for BBM technology to be integrated into the Sharecare app in the near future.
- Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed announced yesterday that Invest Atlanta President and CEO Craig Richard will resign Jan. 18th. No reason was given for the resignation. Eloisa Klementich, Managing Director of Business Development (who we’ve had on the show), will be interim president and CEO. Invest Atlanta is the official economic development authority for the City of Atlanta. Its purpose is to strengthen Atlanta’s economy and global competitiveness.
- The Porsche experience is about to become even more of an experience… ‘cause now you’ll be able to stay overnight in luxury. Capella Hotel Group will be developing a 214-room Solís Hotel next to the Porsche Experience Center. The five-star luxury hotel will open in 2017 at Two Porsche Drive and be the first new hotel on the east side of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport since the opening of the new International Terminal.
- Guess who’s getting a new Innovation Center? Yup. Midtown. This time it is health insurer Anthem doing the innovating. “Innovation” may literally be the only thing now happening in Midtown. Dana would like to see something less buzzy go in. Like a dog walking center or a pizza making center… or even better…how ‘bout a shopping center.
- Gamers – this is for you. Remember last month when we had Todd Harris from Hi Rez studios on the show – well, the Hi Rez Studios’ Smite World Championships is today through Sunday. It’s sold out – BUT you can still watch the live stream.
- Chick-fil-A is replacing it’s beloved (or possibly unloved) coleslaw with kale. But not just any kale – a special kale and broccolini salad designed by Atlanta’s own fab chef Ford Fry.
Join us Monday, January 11th for the next meeting of The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! This month’s selection is THE ROAD TO CHARACTER by David Brooks. We’ll talk leadership and the line between the “Big Me” and our own inner, personal values. We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.