In the guest chair:
It was all about creativity and design during the first hour of the show with AKQA Director of Client Services, Chip Gross and Georgia Tech Oliver Professor of Practice in Design & Engineering, Wayne Li. The focus shifted to Venture Atlanta as Convey Services Founder, Carolyn Bradfield and AchieveIt CEO, Paul Carmody joined Dana for the second hour to talk about their upcoming pitches.
AKQA is the imaginative application of art and science to create beautiful ideas, products and services; they ideate, design and deliver iconic digital products and services.
The Innovation and Design Collaborative at Georgia Tech is a hub for innovation, collaboration and creativity. Their mission is to help people become everyday designers, everywhere.
Convey is a cloud-based Business4Business (B4B) Partner Engagement Platform that hosts and delivers content, training, promotions and events to improve communication between suppliers and their indirect sales channels.
AchieveIt delivers innovative technology that empowers leaders with the visibility to coordinate team performance and drive results via management excellence.
In the headlines:
- The Atlanta Braves finished the 2015 season with the club’s worst attendance mark at Turner Field and worst since 1990 (25 years ago right before the 1991 worst to first season!!).
- Atlanta coffee favorite Octane Coffee has some major expansion plans…including a new location at the Woodruff Arts Center, plans to start roasting coffee at its Grant Park location by the end of the year, a new retail project in Chamblee called Peachtree Crossing, set to open in 2017, and… Octane is partnering with Michael Tavani, co-founder of Scoutmob, on a new concept called Western & Atlantic, an amenity of Switchyards Downtown Club. And, Octane is also in talks for a coffee shop at the mixed-use development surrounding the Atlanta Braves’ new home, SunTrust Park. But, a deal has yet to be signed.
- American Apparel Inc, known as much for its sexually charged advertising and controversial founder as for its fashion offerings, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection yesterday. The stores and manufacturing operations will continue to operate normally under a restructuring deal reached with most secured lenders. The big loser will be founder, Dov Charney, who was fired as CEO in December for alleged misconduct, including misusing company funds and failing to stop a subordinate from creating blog posts that defamed former employees. Along with other shareholders, his stake in the company will be wiped out, said Neil Saunders, chief executive of research firm Conlumino.
- Negotiators for the United States and 11 other countries meeting in Atlanta have signed what supporters describe as the most progressive trade agreement in U.S. history, President Barack Obama announced Monday. Under the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and nine countries along the Pacific Rim from Chile to Australia and New Zealand have established trade rules for nearly 40 percent of the global gross domestic product. The new rules will bring hundreds of millions of workers under enforceable labor standards that already apply in the U.S., leveling the competition between U.S. businesses and companies based throughout the Pacific Rim.
- Experian, the world’s biggest consumer credit monitoring firm, on Thursday disclosed a massive data breach that exposed sensitive personal data of some 15 million people who applied for service with T-Mobile US Inc.
- Twitter on Monday named Jack Dorsey its permanent CEO. Dorsey is a co-founder of the social media giant and had been serving as interim head after Dick Costolo stepped down in June.
Join us Monday, October 19th for the next meeting of Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! We’re learning about the history of the digital revolution in this month’s selection: THE INNOVATORS by Walter Isaacson. We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.