In the guest chair:
Michelle Henley, President of ATP and Jen White, Director of Partnerships joined Dana during hour one of the show to talk about their upcoming panel discussion on The Sharing Economy (Dana will serve as moderator at the event!). Mike Wien, author and Founder of The Specific Edge Institute was in studio for the second hour to give details on the upcoming Book Festival of the MJCCA where he will be a featured speaker.
ATP is where IT professionals come together to connect and learn. The non-profit organization, now in its 15th year, hosts monthly events that dive deep into industry trends and business drivers that are changing the world of connectedness. Its annual awards gala, CIO roundtable, and golf tournament are recognized as premier industry events in Atlanta.
The Specific Edge Institute helps entrepreneurial companies and people in professional services develop a competitive advantage in the market by identifying the right market segments, developing compelling messages and selecting the right tactics or vehicles to deliver the message to the target segment. They help companies outsmart their competition.
In the headlines:
- Atlanta based FinTech company, FactorTrust has raised $42 million to grow and finance future acquisitions according the Atlanta Business Chronicle. The company’s software “uses proprietary data not available from traditional credit bureaus to enable lenders to more accurately assess credit risk for non-prime and underbanked consumers, according to a statement.”
- Delta is fighting back after a reporter accused the airline of cutting its Atlanta-Dubai route for political reasons rather than financial ones. You tell her Delta. They make some good points – in fact – Dana says if she were keeping score, she’d say Delta wins this one!
- Another iconic Atlanta store will be moving temporarily and morphing permanently. Buckhead’s Henri’s Bakery will be displaced by a new apartment tower, but the plan is to move them back into the ground floor of that building once it’s ready!
- Jon Stewart is moving to HBO. The premium-cable network said yesterday that it struck a four-year exclusive production deal with the former “Daily Show” host. Stewart’s first project under the deal will be the development of short-form content that will highlight his view of current events.
- And VW – oh VW – the scandal grows and grows – Monday, Porsche diesel models were drawn into the scandal – making the affected brands in the US (all under the VW umbrella) Porsche, VW and Audi. Now it gets even worse… it’s not just diesel cars! Yesterday afternoon Volkswagen said it understated the level of carbon dioxide emissions in its past certifications for about 800,000 cars, a revelation that brings its gasoline-powered vehicles into its diesel-emissions scandal for the first time. Yikes.
Join us Monday, November 9th for the next meeting of The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! This month’s selection is THE BIG SHORT by Michael Lewis. Read the book with us before the movie is released in December! We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.