In the first hour, three of the Belk Southern Design Showcase Winners joined us in-studio to share their stories, and to talk about their inspiration and their winning lines!
We had fun chatting with Mia Carreras who named her line GiGi Carreras after her daughter and says she makes clothes that mothers and daughters will want to steal from each other.
Veronica Ramirez is a Mexican-born designer who grew up in the south. She talked about her love of modern southern style. Courtney Johnson’s handmade line, Agape GEMS… brings an extra challenge as she works to scale. How to keep the product handmade! She plans to handle this by hiring stay-at-home Moms to help her assemble the pieces.
In the local headlines:
- TEGNA to produce talk show “Sister Circle” in Atlanta ( http://bit.ly/2uSn1vo )
- Delta opens global cargo operations center in Atlanta ( http://bit.ly/2uT8oIq )
- Patti LaBelle to be named BMI Icon at the 2017 BMI R&B/Hip-Hop Awards in Atlanta ( http://bit.ly/2uSXodO )
- Sessions Speaks To Black Law Enforcement Group In Atlanta ( http://bit.ly/2uSWfmA )
- An Official Blocks You On Twitter; Does That Violate Constitution? ( http://bit.ly/2uSOTQ2 )
In the national headlines:
- Forward-Thinking Small Businesses Called To Enter Inaugural Forbes Main Street Awards ( http://bit.ly/2uSCM5u )
- Apple stock surges to all-time high as forecast hints at strong sales boost ( http://read.bi/2uTL5y3 )
- Under Armour is having an identity crisis that’s throwing the company into a tailspin ( http://read.bi/2uTX1jr )
In the Women on Wednesday Headlines:
- Lyft Adds Former Obama Advisor Valerie Jarrett to Board of Directors ( http://for.tn/2uTjOvO )
- Representation of Women and Minorities in Films Hasn’t Improved ( http://ti.me/2uTAFhZ )
- FT Journalists Threaten to Strike As Britain’s Gender Pay Gap Debate Rages On ( http://for.tn/2uThQLY )