In the guest chair:
Owner of Bookmiser, an independent bookseller in Atlanta with 2 stores, Annell Gerson and USA Today bestselling author, Wendy Wax joined Dana live in studio to discuss the ins and outs of writing and selling books. Wendy’s newest book, A Week at the Lake, is now on sale, and signed copies can be purchased at Bookmiser!
Bookmiser is a two store, family owned independent bookstore, selling new and used books. They have been an increasing presence in the community, hosting multiple book clubs, providing book expertise to local media outlets, gathering readers with their favorite authors (Karen White, Wendy Wax, Susan Crandall, Mary Kay Andrews, et. al.), and partnering with schools to provide summer and year-round required reading. Bookmiser also hosts art classes, summer Storytime for children, and monthly sessions with Cooperstown, a service dog who specializes in reading therapy.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution says national bestselling author Wendy Wax “writes with breezy wit and keen insight into family relations.” Her novels, including While We Were Watching Downton Abbey, Ocean Beach and Ten Beach Road, have been featured in publications such as USA Today, Ladies’ Home Journal, Woman’s World, and online at sites such as On A Clear Day You Can Read Forever, Luxury Reading, and Book Reporter.
In the headlines:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport’s domestic terminal will get a new, fresh, modern look so it’s more like the snazzy international terminal. One of the coolest features of the new design is the canopy that will be added on the outside from the exit doors almost all the way across to the parking garage.
- 2 Georgia companies have made Fortune’s 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials list. Aflac in Columbus and eVestment in Marietta.
- An Alpharetta man has been convicted of defrauding NASA out of about $800,000. It’s one thing to rip off a little old lady, but another to go after rocket scientists… He was bound to get caught, right? And he did.
- In one of the best (or weirdest) marketing ideas ever, Coca-Cola has hired Mr. T to promote their Fuze Tea drinks. Do millennials even know who he is?
- The line-up for Music Midtown 2015 has been announced and it’s pretty impressive!
- Nordstrom now has 5 women on it’s board of 14. That’s 35% female. Better than the 17.7 percent across Fortune 1000 companies in 2014, but Nordstrom’s customers are 70% female, so overall, we still have a way to go.
Join us on July 13th for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! Our July selection is The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. If you’ve been meaning to read this, now’s your chance! Or, if you’ve read it before, time to refresh! We will meet at South City Kitchen Vinings. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.