In the guest chair:
Atlanta-based Company.com helps tens of thousands of small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs) start, run and grow with the support of a powerful suite of affordable, enterprise-quality cloud software and services.
As a nationally recognized, growth-oriented CPA firm, Cherry Bekaert LLP provides guidance and support that helps clients move forward to reach their organizational goals.
ACG comprises more than 14,500 members from corporations, private equity, finance, and professional service firms representing Fortune 500, Fortune1000, FTSE 100, and mid-market companies in 54 chapters in North America and Europe. Founded in 1954, ACG Atlanta is one of the oldest and most active chapters providing the area’s executives and professionals a unique forum for exchanging ideas and experiences concerning organic and acquisitive growth.
In the headlines:
- The FDA has approved a new drug to treat acquired, generalized hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) in premenopausal women. This is the first approved treatment ever for sexual desire disorders in women. The drug was developed by Raleigh-based Sprout Pharmaceuticals who stand to make a killing with this thing. They’ve already announced that their increasing their workforce from 24 to 200 in preparation for the October launch of the drug.
- Metro Atlanta is on a bunch of interesting lists this week… Woodstock, GA is ranked #50 on the Money magazine list of the “50 Best Places to Live in America”… Playboy says Atlanta is the No. 17 sexiest city in the U.S. based on “hot locals, cool nightlife, a great setting and an undercurrent of desire”… And that undercurrent might be part of the reason we’re on another list… Ashley Madison puts Atlanta at No. 11 for extramarital affairs. Oops.
- And Dragon Con is expecting 65,000 pop culture, sci-fi, fantasy and gaming fans to flock to downtown Atlanta over the Labor Day weekend… in part to see the 400 celebrities from sic-fi movies, TV, video games and books who will be here to take part in panel discussions and meet their fans.
- Georgia made it’s pitch to GE to get them to move their headquarters here… now New York has made theirs. Who said business wasn’t entertaining?
- Snapchat posted net losses of $128.4 million. Bringing in revenue of only $3.1 million. Not gonna lie, we don’t get how that kind of performance gets you a $16 billion valuation.
- Influential law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz wants to end quarterly earnings reports. Wachtell has called on the SEC to consider allowing U.S. companies to do away with the obligatory updates, suggesting that they distract executives from long-term goals.
Join us Monday, September 21st for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! Get ready to use the power of relationships to connect and help your colleagues, friends, and associates and increase you personal success so that everyone wins! This month’s selection is NEVER EAT ALONE: and other secrets to success, one relationship at a time by Keith Ferrazzi. We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.