In the guest chair:
Ken Cornelius the head of the Cities Program for Siemens in the Americas joined me in the studio today for an update on Atlanta’s new Streetcar and the amazing potential impact on the city. Of note, the streetcar will be FREE for riders for the first three months, and though the official opening day has not been announced, we’re hoping it will be before the end of the year.
Drybar CEO Alli Webb also joined us on the phone to talk about the grand opening of their newest location in Avalon!
In the headlines:
- Nordstrom is closing their Mall of Georgia store. But the other Atlanta Nordstrom stores still going strong.
- UPS predicts and 11% jump in holiday deliveries this year. (Hopefully NONE of them come from people who shopped on Thanksgiving Day).
- Bill Gates is buying up a bunch of farmland around the Southeast. Wonder what that’s about.
- Michael Shapiro is stepping down as director of the High Museum of Art.
- And the Apple Pay rival we were talking about earlier this week, CurrentC, has been hacked. Yup, and they haven’t even launched yet. If this is going to be a war, I’m ready to pick a side.
Wanna know why we do the things we do? Join The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club for a discussion of THE POWER OF HABIT by Charles Duhigg on Monday November 10th at South City Kitchen in Vinings! Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/
Retail shopping on Thanksgiving is not cool. Eat turkey. Watch football. Have a glass of wine. Hug your family. Or fight with them. Either way don’t go to the mall. And maybe encourage others to stay away too! #savethanksgiving #boycottmacys #boycottblackthursday #StopBlackThursday
And really, I know I say the same things every year at this time… but while I’m complaining, can we stop with the sexy Halloween costumes? Seriously, if you want to be sexy, be sexy every day. A cheesy, store-bought, so-called sexy nurse/bumblebee/taxi driver costume is not actually sexy, it’s just desperate.