In the guest chair:
Eric Holtzclaw, regular show contributor and Chief Strategist at Laddering Works, Maria Runnels, Strategic Planner and Finance Professional and Margaret Ruthenberg-Marshall, Law Practice Professional joined Dana to discuss tonight’s book club topic: ZILCH: THE POWER OF ZERO IN BUSINESS.
Laddering Works was founded by Eric to educate clients on the “whys” of business: why customers buy, why teams work and the “entrepreneurial why.” As Chief Strategist, Eric guides start-up businesses on the path to professionally managed.
In the headlines:
- MARTA may be headed to Gwinnett County. Or at least there’s interest now, which is great.
According to a new survey from the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce, 63 percent of likely voters support expanding MARTA into Gwinnett and a majority support a 1 percent sales tax to fund the expansion.
- Amazon thinks Atlanta is cool. Apparently, they are thinking about an Atlanta presence. The company is expected to expand its cloud computing services business in Atlanta with a new office that would accommodate up to 200 people.
- Angie’s List CEO, Bill Oesterle says he wants to repair Indiana’s image following the “shellacking” it took over a controversial law opponents said allowed discrimination against gays on religious grounds. To that end, he’s quitting as CEO of Angie’s List and may run for Governor of the state. He’d be running against Gov. Mike Pence, a Republican who supported the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
- Dr. Oz is under fire from some other docs who want him ousted from Columbia University faculty for promoting “quack treatments.” But, Dr. Oz is fighting back with an episode of his show later this week, where he is expected to defend himself and call into question the industry ties of his accusers. Don’t mess with Dr. Oz.
- Speaking of TV, Comcast and Time Warner are set to sit down with the DOJ this week to see if they can make some concessions that will allow the merger of these two huge companies to move forward. Don’t expect a resolution this week. Dana’s prediction? This one’s still going to take awhile if it happens at all.
- Target has to be happy with it’s latest design partnership. The Lily Pulitzer collection of clothing and housewares went live this weekend online and in stores and was so popular, it basically crashed the website and almost sold out in a couple hours. Some of the brick and mortar stores had people lining up before the stores opened. Good for them… (Dana concludes that people are weird).
- Last but not least, if YOU want to become a TV host, there is a great bootcamp being held here in town this weekend, April 25th and 26th. Marki Costello, host of The Drama Queen on E!, granddaughter of Lou Costello and Hollywood Agent will host the training. There are still a couple of spots left: becomeahost.com.
Can we really get more done with less? Join The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club as we discuss ZILCH: THE POWER OF ZERO IN BUSINESS by Nancy Lublin, TONIGHT at South City Kitchen in Vinings! Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
Help us #NameThePenguin! Send in your suggestions via Twitter @DanaHBarrett and @biz1190. We’ll announce the winning name on April 25 for World Penguin Day. Want to know the story? Listen here: http://bit.ly/1C2EAlc.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.