In the guest chair:
Polsinelli‘s Jim Swartz joined Dana during the first hour of the show to talk all about end of year activities in the workplace including performance reviews and those holiday parties. Loud N Klear Entertainment‘s Torey Best and Thai Long were in studio for the second hour to discuss their new Atlanta startup and raising $20,000 to attend the recent REVOLT Music Conference in Miami.
Polsinelli is a national law firm with a growing Atlanta office. The firm focuses on health care, labor and employment, litigation, financial services, real estate, intellectual property and technology.
Loud N Klear is an entertainment company headquartered at Icon Recording Studios in Atlanta. They feature a team of artists, producers, managers, and a plethora of other music industry professionals that work together to host educational events, artist showcases, and the like. Loud N Klear takes a particular interest in providing opportunities to advance in the music industry for college students.
In the headlines:
- #SaveThanksgiving – #Fail @Macys – For the 3rd year in a row Macy’s has decided to be open on Thanksgiving Day at 6PM. Please DO NOT shop there on that day. And maybe teach them a lesson by not shopping there on Black Friday either. Lots of great gifts and deals at Nordstrom who is closed on Turkey Day!
- And it might not be as big a deal as the VW emissions scandal – but there’s a good chance the “wild” salmon your eating may not be wild. Oceana, an organization dedicated to protecting and restoring the world’s oceans, tested samples of salmon that had been branded as “wild” and discovered that much of it gets mislabeled. When wild salmon was in season, only 7% of labels were deceptive; that number jumps all the way up to 43% in the off season.
- LinkedIn may not be the prettiest or the coolest social media platform… but it is profitable. LinkedIn is making money in large part because it doesn’t rely solely on ads to make money. In fact, the biggest money maker for the company is what it calls the “Talent Solutions” unit, which charges corporate recruiters to connect them to job candidates.
- Peachtree Corners will soon be home to a new business incubator thanks to a partnership with Georgia Tech’s Advanced Technology Development Center (ATDC). The Peachtree Corners’ City Council recently approved a $300,000 investment for the project… but the specific location has yet to be determined.
- And another success story for one of our early guests on the show – Rigor, the web performance and user experience monitoring company led by Craig Hyde has acquired the web optimization service company Zoompf. Congrats to them all!
Join us Monday, November 9th for the next meeting of The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! This month’s selection is THE BIG SHORT by Michael Lewis. Read the book with us before the movie is released in December! We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.