In the guest chair:
Today, the studio was filled with laughter and and a lot of dancing as Dana hosted a very chatty group of entrepreneurs. Jamie Turner, Founder and CEO of 60 Second Marketer discussed marketing and strategies. Jamie is an internationally-recognized author and marketing expert who has helped The Coca-Cola Company, AT&T, CNN and other global brands tackle complex marketing problems. He is a regular guest on CNN and HLN on the topics of social media, mobile marketing and branding.
George Chidi is the Social Impact Director for Central Atlanta Progress. The Atlanta Downtown Improvement District, founded in 1995 by Central Atlanta Progress, is a public-private partnership that strives to create a livable environment for Downtown Atlanta. With a board of directors of nine private- and public-sector leaders, ADID is funded through a community improvement district.
Todd Dae Kulper is the Executive Chef at Doraku. Modeled after a traditional Japanese Izakaya, Doraku is a Japanese gastropub serving food meant to be shared among friends. The menu offers a mix of popular items like sushi and more inventive fusion dishes. And, since no meal would be complete without sake, Doraku has one of the most extensive selections of sake in the United States. Each year, the Doraku team travels to Japan to hand- select new varieties of artisanal sake from local microbreweries. Doraku is a restaurant, bar, and gathering place that celebrates Japanese food, drink, and hospitality.
In the headlines:
- The venues, restaurants and bars of Buckhead’s Andrews Entertainment District are set to shutter after a New Year’s Eve party, President Stephen de Haan, said in a Facebook post on Monday. That includes East Andrews, The Atlanta Improv Comedy Club & Dinner Theatre, Stout Irish Sports Pub, Cellar 56, Czar Ice Bar, Stillhouse Craft Burgers & Moonshine, Burn Social Club, Prohibition, and Sal’s Pizzeria.
- More changes may be coming to a high-profile corner in the Buckhead Village. Meltzer Properties wants to double the size of a building at Peachtree and East Paces Ferry roads and Bolling Way and fill it with high-end retailers. The proposed changes could create “something really incredible for that corridor,” said Dion Meltzer, owner of Atlanta real estate company Meltzer Properties LLC.
- A dual-branded hotel is being planned for Buckhead’s central business district.Engineering firm Kimley-Horn recently submitted plans for a 248-room hotel on Stratford Road, across from the pedestrian bridge to the Buckhead MARTA station. It would sit near new apartment projects including SkyHouse and Cyan on Peachtree.
- Cincinnati-based North American Properties and its capital partner have closed on a deal to buy and redevelop Midtown’s Colony Square, paying nearly $170 million for the project at 14th and Peachtree streets — the heart of Midtown and one of the most walkable intersections in the city. North American Properties is coming off the successful turnaround of another well-known Midtown mixed-use project, Atlantic Station, which recently sold to real estate company Hines for just short of $200 million after an extensive repositioning with new retail tenants and events.
- YouTube is seeking streaming rights to TV series and movies to bolster its new subscription service, intensifying its rivalry with Netflix Inc., Amazon.com and Hulu in the competitive market for online video.
- Stanford University encourages its students to think big and hatch ideas for new companies. But those who plan to start their own ventures are hearing a new message from the school: Wait.
- We are idiots. UglyChristmasSweater.com launched in late 2012.The first year, they made $40,000 in sales. But the following year, revenue jumped 300%, and it was up 275% the year after that. This year, they’re on track to sell $5.5 million worth of ugly sweaters. Stop the madness. How ‘bout we donate that $5.5 mill to a charity instead? Just a thought.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.