In the guest chair:
Jay Bailey, CEO for the Southeast Region of Operation HOPE joined Dana on air this morning to talk financial dignity and how to recover from a financial disaster. Jay also shared about the organization’s recent HOPE Global Forum 2015.
Operation HOPE serves as a nonprofit private banker, helping the underserved, youth and community gain financial dignity and stability.
In the headlines:
- Germany’s RIB software is relocating it’s North American Headquarters to Tech Square in Midtown.
- Atlanta start-up, Roadie has raised $10 million from UPS and several other investors to disrupt the shipping business.
- Mayor Reed said some interesting things last week during a speech to the Atlanta Press Club. 1) He’s not thinking of running for a higher political office when his second term as Mayor ends in 2018. And 2) Atlanta is the dominant economy in the Southeast.
- Richmond, VA based MWV and Atlanta-based, Rock-Tenn announced merger plans last week that will create a huge packaging company. Alas, the main headquarters will remain in Richmond with satellite offices here in Norcross.
- Jay-Z is getting into the streaming music business giving Dr. Dre and 50 Cent some competition for the “most successful rapper-turned-music-entrepreneur” title.
- Zappos’ CEO, Tony Hsieh is trying out an Uber-like “surge” concept for the scheduling of his customer service call centers. It’s just a trial right now, but it’s an interesting disruption.
Turn your passion into profit and learn the Starbucks standards to producing excellent products and keeping employees satisfied. Join The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club for a discussion of POUR YOUR HEART INTO IT: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time by Howard Schultz on Monday, February 9th at South City Kitchen in Vinings! Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
Join Dana and General Assembly at UNDER 30 IN THE C-SUITE: THE NEW FACE OF ATLANTA TECH, Wednesday, February 25. Dana will serve as emcee for a round-table discussion with previous Dana Barrett Show guests Partha Unnava, Jon Birdsong, Roman Grimaldi and Jerry Slutzky. Enter promo code under30vip for complimentary admission.