In the guest chair:
New York Times Bestselling author, Karen White was on the mic first this morning to talk about her latest release, THE SOUND OF GLASS. Dale DeSena, Founder and President of Taste of Atlanta and Kris Maher, VP at One Ring Networks also joined Dana to give details on this year’s event.
Plus, Jamie Jenkins joined the show for our weekly Work Hard/Play Hard segment, highlighting events in Atlanta.
New York Times Bestselling author of “grit lit” (Southern Women’s Fiction) Karen White has penned 18 bestselling and award-winning novels. A graduate of The American School in London and Tulane University, Karen now lives in the Atlanta suburbs where she is at work on her next novel.
Taste of Atlanta packs the bold flavors, colorful personalities and vibrant energy of an entire city into 10 blocks in Midtown Atlanta to turn tasters into diners. The three-day festival explores the city’s unique neighborhoods by sampling tastes from the chefs and bartenders that give each area its own creative energy.
From business owners to film producers, One Ring Networks is the preferred carrier powering today’s business connections in the Atlanta and Dallas-Fort Worth markets. The company’s high-bandwidth business broadband solutions can be up and running within days, ensuring highly valuable business projects, large-scale events and mission critical organizations all have the Internet service, connection and data necessary for operations to run smoothly.
In the headlines:
- The Metro Atlanta Chamber (MAC) and the American Transaction Processors Coalition (ATPC) launched a new FinTech Task Force that will be led by Worldpay U.S. President and CEO, Tony Catalfano and aims to develop a strategy to grow and sustain the financial technology industry in metro Atlanta.
- Senior Republicans introduced legislation to roll back the National Labor Relations Board expansion of who is a joint employer. Under a new NLRB ruling, businesses without direct control over workers employed by their franchisees, subcontractors and temporary staffing agencies can be joint employers if they have indirect control or potential control over these workers’ terms and conditions of employment.
- And Ellen Pao has decided NOT to appeal her sexual bias lawsuit against Kleiner Perkins. But she is not making any kind of deal with them and will pay close to $300,000 in legal fees to Kleiner for the case she lost.
- Grateful Dead fans rejoice… there is no such thing as a farewell tour. After a successful “farewell” tour by four of the original band members, 3 have decided to have another go. Dead & Company announced yesterday that they will come to Atlanta’s Philips Arena on Nov. 17.
- And fans of hot guys can also rejoice… Chris Hemsworth will be back in town next summer to film the next installment of Thor and Chris Pratt should be here even sooner… he’s expected in February to film Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
Join us Monday, September 21st for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! Get ready to use the power of relationships to connect and help your colleagues, friends, and associates and increase you personal success so that everyone wins! This month’s selection is NEVER EAT ALONE: and other secrets to success, one relationship at a time by Keith Ferrazzi. We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.