In the guest chair:
Chief Popper at Caja Popcorn, Kevin Peak and The Tenor of Illusions, Joe Spinella joined Dana live in studio for a fabulous, fun Friday. The conversation covered the business of making fresh, gourmet popcorn and the niche created by combining music and magic.
At CaJa Popcorn they make their popcorn in small batches every day, using only the highest quality ingredients. Their most popular flavors — Sea Salt Caramel, Pimento Cheese, and Spicy BBQ — are made using recipes created by acclaimed Atlanta chef Todd Ginsberg, and they partner with chefs from the Concentrics Restaurants group to create a special flavor each month. They make their popcorn fresh each day, offer custom flavors and regularly make special flavors for their corporate clients and for individuals seeking a delicious treat for events such as weddings, showers, and birthdays.
Imagine the mysteries of illusion flowing through the seductive powers of great music. Immerse yourself in another world where the heart soars and the mind is boggled. You have entered the realm of IllusionAria, a groundbreaking show featuring Joseph Spinella, The Tenor of Illusions. Spinella’s heartfelt singing and mastery of illusions make him a rare phenomenon in the world of entertainment today.
Plus, Adam Gajdharsingh joined the show for our weekly Work Hard/Play Hard segment, highlighting events in Atlanta.
In the headlines:
- Georgia Tech has received a $4.2 million federal grant for cybersecurity research. The grant, awarded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and Air Force Research Laboratory, will help researchers at GT’s College of Computing study how data moves between computers and whether any malicious software code is added to data during transfer.
- Speaking of federal money coming our way… we also just got $16.3 million in State Small Business Credit Initiative (SSBCI) funds from the federal government to help small businesses.
- Smith’s Olde Bar is being forced out of the location it has called home for decades. The bar & music venue located at Piedmont and Monroe was given 60 days to vacate the premises after the original owner passed away and the trust placed the entire property up for sale. Suffice it to say – lawsuits are in the works on all sides.
- In some happier music (and food) news… The TomorrowWorld music festival has teamed up with Chef Kevin Gillespie for their first ever sit down restaurant at the festival.
- According the Wall Street Journal, Google is quietly distributing a new version of Google Glass designed specifically for business.
- Remember how Paramount Pictures was trying to shorten the amount of time between theater and home release dates for it’s films? Well Regal Cinemas has rejected the deal. Some smaller movie chains are in, but Regal is sticking to the old model for now.
Join us on Monday, August 10th for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! Our August selection is Coined by Kabir Sehgal. If you’ve been meaning to read this, now’s your chance! Or, if you’ve read it before, time to refresh! We will meet at American Food & Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.