In the guest chair:
Don Barden, regular contributor and author of The Perfect Plan, joined Dana for the first hour of the show to define the different types of leadership styles. During the second hour, Seneca Women founders, Kim Azzarelli and Melanne Verveer joined Dana to talk about gender pay gap, being a female entrepreneur and their book, FAST FORWARD.
Don Barden is a senior level behavioral economist and 27 year Wall Street veteran. He is currently the CEO of DDS Financial, a business consultation, accounting and coaching firm and his books are published in over 39 county’s around the globe.
Seneca Women is a global women’s leadership community centered on the principle that advancing women and girls can fast forward us to a better world. The mission of Seneca Women is to build a global on and off-line community to connect women with inspiring people, organizations, ideas, opportunities, support and events as well as practical tools for personal and professional development.
In the headlines:
- Some small businesses are complaining about the cost of the new EMV chip technology that is now being mandated by credit card companies. The financial industry gave retailers a choice: install devices to accept credit cards with chip technology by Oct. 1 or assume liability for fraudulent charges.
- YouTube is launching a new ad-free, subscription service called YouTube Red. Launching October 28 for $9.99 per month on Android devices (and $12.99 on iOS), YouTube Red will enable viewers to watch videos without ads. On mobile, the service also lets users play videos in the background while using other apps, as well as save videos offline for future viewing. Would you pay for that?
- Gwinnett County is spending $7.99 million to buy 13.98 acres next to Infinite Energy Arena (formerly the Arena at Gwinnett Center). Not clear exactly what will go on the land, but a long-term master plan being prepared by county leaders calls for the area to be redeveloped with dense housing and an entertainment district.
- Alpharetta’s Avalon is adding more retailers. Eight of them, to be exact… the first – Madewell (a J. Crew company) is already open. The rest will open over the next 6-8 months.
- Forbes magazine lists Georgia as the #11 best state for business. Up from #16 last year.
Join us Monday, November 9th for the next meeting of The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! This month’s selection is THE BIG SHORT by Michael Lewis. Read the book with us before the movie is released in December! We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.