In the guest chair:
Jenna Shulman and Marianne Garber from JELF (Jewish Educational Loan Fund) joined me in the studio to talk about the high cost of college and the gap that often exists between government loan packages and the actual cost of college. JELF grants interest-free loans to Jewish students from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia for post-secondary study at accredited institutions. JELF’s loans are “last dollar” — they supply the final funds that a student needs to attend school.
Sandra Micek, the Senior Vice President of Marketing at USA Today also joined us by phone to talk about the 24th anniversary of Make a Difference Day, Saturday October 25th.
Adam G. from SocialSave.com was also with us for the Work Hard / Play Hard segment. Every Friday, Adam shares his top picks for upcoming fun events in Metro Atlanta such as festivals, restaurants deals, sporting events and outdoor activities.
In the headlines:
- Apple Pay launched this week with a bit of a fail. Some early adapters who used Apple Pay with their Bank of America accounts were double charged. Oops.
- Coca-Cola’s Chief Marketing Officer, Joe Tripodi retired yesterday, October 23rd.
- The search for a new CEO for Invest Atlanta has been narrowed down to 3 candidates.
- Sears is on the struggle bus to losing money town – and they are closing stores. Alas Georgia stores have escaped the cut and will remain open.
- And the well known street art in the Krog street tunnel (in Cabbagetown) has been erased – who did and why might surprise you.
Wanna know why we do the things we do? Join The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club for a discussion of THE POWER OF HABIT by Charles Duhigg on Monday November 10th at South City Kitchen in Vinings! Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/
Retail shopping on Thanksgiving is not cool. Eat turkey. Watch football. Have a glass of wine. Hug your family. Or fight with them. Either way don’t go to the mall. And maybe encourage others to stay away too! #savethanksgiving #boycottmacys #boycottblackthursday #StopBlackThursday
Barbara Walters is a very smart woman, but apparently she doesn’t know the meaning of the word retirement. She’ll be back on ABC in December for a 10 Most Fascinating People Special. I think maybe she just wanted a retirement party and a cake. Which I totally get. Who doesn’t love cake?