Happy Columbus Day:
Columbus Day is a U.S. holiday that commemorates the landing of Christopher Columbus in the Americas on October 12, 1492. It was unofficially celebrated in a number of cities and states as early as the 18th century, but did not become a federal holiday until 1937. For many, the holiday is a way of both honoring Columbus’ achievements and celebrating Italian-American heritage. But throughout its history, Columbus Day and the man who inspired it have generated controversy, and many alternatives to the holiday have proposed since the 1970s.
In hour one: Joe Labriola, Executive Director, Second Helpings Atlanta joined Dana in studio to discuss using food waste to tackle hunger.
In the Local Headlines:
- Cathy Woolard tops $1 million in race for Atlanta mayor: http://bit.ly/2z7avbI
- New incubator aims to unite city’s arts industry: http://bit.ly/2z7P5eo
- KSU cheerleaders kept off field after some knelt during national anthem: http://bit.ly/2z7wvmJ
- Atlanta-based staffing company Hire Dynamics buys Charlotte rival: http://bit.ly/2y96qFH
In the National Headlines:
- Did Columbus Really Discover America? http://bit.ly/2z8HPiA
- The White House and Equifax Agree: Social Security Numbers Should Go: https://bloom.bg/2y83t8q
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’ misfires at the box office: http://cnnmon.ie/2z8LI7a
- Costco announced it would deliver groceries. Then its stock fell 6 percent.: http://wapo.st/2z8fXeb
- DSW test ‘a new extreme’ for the sharing economy: Shoe rentals (and shoe storage): http://wapo.st/2y8cH4q
- Equifax breach: 6 things Congress can do to help: http://cnnmon.ie/2y8O2N5
- Harvey Weinstein Paid Off Sexual Harassment Accusers for Decades: http://nyti.ms/2y9aNk0