In the guest chair:
This morning, Dana had the pleasure of hosting the technically savvy and successful Todd Harris, Co- Founder and COO of Hi-Rez Studios. Hi-Rez Studios, located in Alpharetta, GA, was established in 2005 to create exceptional online interactive entertainment, and is now one of the largest video game studios in the Southeast United States. Todd dished on the world of gaming and how it is quickly becoming a popular sport. You can get tickets to the SMITE Tournament by visiting their website.
Josh Levs, author of “All In: How Our Work-First Culture Fails Dads, Families, and Businesses- And How We Can Fix It Together,” phoned in to give his opinion on paternity leave.
With the holiday season upon us, the utterly “hip” Dan Williams, Membership Manager for Central Atlanta Progress called in to give us the scoop on what’s happening in Downtown Atlanta this holiday season.
In the headlines:
- Blue Origin, the private space firm owned by Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, has just dropped a huge, unexpected gauntlet in the race to develop a reusable rocket. It just launched its New Shepard space vehicle (video, below) consisting of a BE-3 rocket and crew capsule to a suborbital height of around 100.5 kilometers (62 miles). The capsule then separated and touched down beneath a parachute, but more importantly, the BE-3 rocket also started its own descent. After the rockets fired at nearly 5,000 feet, it made a a controlled vertical landing at a gentle 4.4 mph.
- Dana’s faith in Atlantans – at least those of you that read the Business Chronicle – and listen to her show has been restored! The ABC did a poll on whether or not you’ll be shopping on Black Friday or on Thanksgiving Day and the results are pretty good. As of yesterday – only 5% of those surveyed intend to shop on Thanksgiving and only 15% on Black Friday. Yay!
- NG1 Technologies, which has been operating in Sarasota, Fla., and Memphis, Tenn., with manufacturing in Tupelo, Miss., has secured nearly $1.5 million in funding from Silicon Valley-based Band of Angels, Denver-based Sun Strategies and a private investor, and plans to centralize operations and manufacturing in an Atlanta headquarters. Nice.
- In a new ruling yesterday, the Georgia Supreme Court gave the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless Inc. the right to have a jury decide whether the foreclosure sale of its shelter at Peachtree and Pine streets was illegal. However, in another portion of the decision, the court upheld the right of Dan Cathy, president of Chick-fil-A Inc., to stop making charitable contributions to the shelter. Um yeah. You can’t make someone give you a charitable donation. That seems obvious.
- Can’t get enough of “The Walking Dead?” You’re in luck — an immersive theatrical attraction called “The Walking Dead Experience” has set up shop in Midtown, where viewers can experience their own post-apocalyptic nightmare through Nov. 28. This is kinda cool – there are different packages, some of which include getting made up as a basic zombie – or you can upgrade and get the full TV level make-up with prosthetics and all that fun stuff. Then of course you get to run around and scare people. Or something.
- Facebook is testing tools to make breakups less awkward… at least online. They want to improve the online experience when your relationships end, by giving you some options to see less of your ex online and have them see less of you – without having to unfriend them.
- And while we’re on the subject of Facebook, In a potentially symbolic move for working fathers, Facebook’s Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg says he will take two months of paid paternity leave after his daughter is born. Super Dad advocate and author Josh Levs will join us by phone later in the show to talk about this development and several others in the whole paternity leave battle.
- Could this be the beginning Citrix confirmed last week that the company has planned a “wind-down” for its Citrix Startup Accelerator program – an initiative that’s supported more than 20 entrepreneurs in Raleigh over the past two years.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.