In the guest chair:
Bogdan Constantine, Co-Founder/CTO of Menguin and Kyle Valencia, Founder of Motivdeals Fundraising joined Dana for a discussion on improving Atlanta tech and making age-old tasks easier in the 21st century.
Menguin simplifies tuxedo rental and gets you the perfect suit or tie for your next wedding or event without the hassle via online ordering and their 24/7 customer service department.
Motivdeals uses the sales of fundraising memberships allowing people to receive local deals through their smart phone. It’s a new way to fund-raise.
In the headlines:
- TAG has released it’s 2015 State of the Industry Report. Of note:
> Georgia’s tech sector has produced more than 25,000 net new jobs since 2010.
> Five GA counties have an innovation economy that tops the national average.
> Georgia’s total technology payroll for 2014 reached $23 billion.
- The Falcons now know their punishment for piping fake crowd noise into the Georgia Dome for the last two years:
> They will forfeit a fifth-round 2016 draft pick
> pay a $350,000 fine
> and Team President, Rich McKay will be suspended from the NFL’s competition committee for three months
- Restoration Hardware’s CEO has been bragging about their Atlanta flagship store. At the annual meeting this year, he said, “While many have been predicting the death of the retail store, we have continued to innovate and build a retail experience that defies conventional wisdom.” And in a related video he said the Atlanta store “is being hailed as the most important new home store in our industry.”
- Southern Co. is complaining that a federal law aimed at restricting abusive telemarketers is making it difficult for them to to communicate with its customers.
- “The Daily Show” finally has its new host: Trevor Noah. Noah, a South African comedian and one of the newest “Daily Show” correspondents will be taking over.
- Some of today’s major tech companies including Apple, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Yahoo, Google and Facebook Inc. have formed the Reform Government Surveillance coalition. The goal of the group is to combat government collection of some user data.
Can we really get more done with less? Join The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club as we discuss ZILCH: THE POWER OF ZERO IN BUSINESS by Nancy Lublin on Monday, April 20th at South City Kitchen in Vinings! Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
TONIGHT, Dana will be the featured speaker of covello’s Dialogues event at the OFS Showroom beginning at 7 pm. Get all the details here: http://bit.ly/1NE8xQZ.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.