In the guest chair:
tornadoAlert is a small, at home device that monitors nearby weather conditions and alerts users of tornado activity, lightening and other severe weather.
In the headlines:
- Gas dips below $2 in some parts of metro Atlanta. Dana’s running out to buy an SUV. (Not).
- Two more tech companies are said to be looking at Ponce City Market: Twitter, for an expansion of their Atlanta sales team and a company called Industrious is looking at putting a “designer” co-working space there.
- SkyMall has filed for bankruptcy thanks to WiFi access in the friendly skies. Where will we buy all those weird things we didn’t know we needed? Oh yeah…the interwebs. And seriously?? Who actually bought from SkyMall?
- The first US based Bitcoin Exchange is set to open. It’s called Coinbase and has backing from the NYSE, along with some banks and VCs. Supposedly, this exchange will offer greater security for individuals and institutions to trade bitcoin and monitor real-time pricing of the cryptocurrency.
- Google and Cablevision are launching a new wireless phone service that will challenge the industry’s current business model. Instead of selling you access to their network, they’ll be either all WiFi hotspot based (Cablevision) or they’ll search through cell connections (such as those from Sprint and T-Mobile) and WiFi hotspots to find the best signal.
- In sports news, the American Gaming Association is expecting $3.8 billion worth of illegal bets on the Super Bowl this year. That’s significantly more than the $100 million legal ones.
- Go-Pro has made a deal with the NHL that will now allow us to see the game from the players’ perspective. Alas, Hockey will now be like watching the Blair Witch Project. Yay.
Turn your passion into profit and learn the Starbucks standards to producing excellent products and keeping employees satisfied. Join The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club for a discussion of POUR YOUR HEART INTO IT: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time by Howard Schultz on Monday, February 9th at South City Kitchen in Vinings! Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.