CEO and Executive Director of The Edge Connection, Terri ElHaddaoui joined Dana live in studio to discuss owning a business and building on a business idea.
The Edge Connection infuses wealth into economically challenged communities in Metro Atlanta through micro and small business development, thereby promoting economic self-sufficiency and job creation. By leveraging comprehensive entrepreneurial education and support targeting low- to moderate-income women, minorities, and veterans, they develop a vibrant small business ecosystem and foster a self-perpetuating system of support.
Plus, Adam Gajdharsingh joined the show for our weekly Work Hard/Play Hard segment, highlighting events in Atlanta.
In the headlines:
- Shout out to Cloud Sherpas’ CEO David Northington, who won the EY Entrepreneur Of The Year – Southeast award on Wednesday night! David was Dana’s tech Tuesday guest this week. Congrats!
- Atlanta’s MLS soccer team has a name according to Sports Illustrated. It’s Atlanta United FC. The official announcement is planned for July 7th which will now be totally underwhelming since we all heard the rumors and already know the name. Sheesh. Why can’t anyone keep a secret?
- Southwest and Delta have a temporary cease fire in place over the gates at Dallas Love Field. Delta will be allowed to stay at the gates temporarily until the courts make a final decision.
- A company called WeWork has just had their valuation jump from $5million to $10million. They’re a NY based shared office space/incubator company that has 12 locations in the US and 4 internationally. No wonder everyone wants to get into the incubator space.
- Speaking of business models that work…let’s talk love. The Match Group – a collection of companies including Match.com, Tinder, OKCupid and Chemistry.com is about to be spun off from their parent company and is planning an IPO for the 4th quarter of this year.
- McDonald’s is trying to get more customers, earn more loyalty, and stop losing money by encouraging healthier eating for kids. They’ve taken sodas off the Happy Meal menu and are now offering yogurt and fruit.
- Two years after the see-through Yoga pants debacle, Lulu Lemon has recalled another product. This time it’s the elastic drawstring on their hoodies that’s snapping back and hitting wearers in the face.
- Last but not least – Dana’s soapbox… An article in the Business Chronicle touts a loophole in LinkedIn that lets you message people you’re not connected to as a good thing. Dana begs to differ.
Join us on July 13th for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! Our July selection is The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer. If you’ve been meaning to read this, now’s your chance! Or, if you’ve read it before, time to refresh! We will meet at South City Kitchen Vinings. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.