In the guest chair:
Chad Eikhoff, Founder of TRICK 3D joined Dana during the first hour of the show this morning to talk all things virtual reality. Bradford Wilkins, VP of Talent Management & HR Services for Adcap Network Systems (a Best & Brightest award winner) and Vince Thompson, CEO of MELT joined Dana for hour two of the show for a discussion on hiring and sports.
TRICK 3D is an immersive media studio specializing in the creation of virtual worlds through 3D animation and virtual reality (VR). With deep roots in commercial and original 3D film production, TRICK 3D’s capabilities include virtual worlds and sets, character animation, photo-real renderings and visualization, stereoscopic 3D and more.
Adcap Network Systems is a Cisco Gold Partner and IT Solution Provider based in Alpharetta, Georgia with locations throughout the southeast. Adcap was named 2013 Cisco 11 State South Area Partner of the Year and was named one of the 100 Fastest Growing companies in Atlanta by the Atlanta Business Chronicle. The Adcap team has many years of experience in planning, deploying, and supporting business technology solutions in the area of Unified Communications, Data Networking and Security, and Converged Computing Architecture.
MELT is a full-service advertising agency that offers services including television production, event experiential, social, digital, and national retail promotions. MELT has won numerous awards including the 2015 Marketing Agency of the Year by the American Business Awards Association.
In the headlines:
- Congress’ failure to pass long-term transportation funding legislation is forcing the Georgia DOT to postpone $123 million in road projects that were due to go out for bids in December.
- Amazing Lash Studio, an eyelash extension franchise concept lead by the founder and former CEO of Massage Envy, will open several locations in the Atlanta area.
- Atlanta-based UPS will pay a $4.2 million settlement to 14 states, the District of Columbia, New York City and Chicago to resolve whistle blower allegations that they falsified delivery records of Next Day Delivery on some state and city government packages to avoid paying refunds. For shame UPS. Didn’t your Mama teach you that lying only compounds the problem?
- Earlier this week Lucasfilm released the trailer for the new Star Wars movie – Star Wars: The Force Awakens — they also announced Star Wars Marathon Events all around the country, but with only one Atlanta location — Regal Atlantic Station 18. The new movie comes out on December 18th and the marathons will take place each Saturday, from December 19 to January 9 – a whole day kind of deal – all the Star Wars movies back to back…
- Amazon shocked Wall Street by posting a profit during the third quarter. It’s the second straight quarter and the third of the past four in which the habitually unprofitable online retailer was in the black. The profit margin is small and mostly due to Amazon Web Services, but a profit is a profit!
- And after all the hubbub and turmoil, DraftKings reports that the employee who won $350,000 playing daily fantasy football on rival site FanDuel did NOT use inside information to choose his team’s lineup.
- Lego won’t have enough bricks for everyone this Christmas. They will not be able to deliver all of the new orders coming from customers in the remainder of the year in some markets in Europe.
- McDonald’s Corp. showed the first big sign of progress in its turnaround effort, posting same-store sales growth in all of its markets, including its critical U.S. segment.
Join us Monday, November 9th for the next meeting of The Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! This month’s selection is THE BIG SHORT by Michael Lewis. Read the book with us before the movie is released in December! We will meet at American Food and Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.