In the guest chair:
Bené Scarves Co-Founder, Michelle Blue joined Dana live to talk fashion and how she and business partner, Sasha Matthews built their company based on giving back.
Ted Talks speaker and Co-Founder of Say It Better Center, Kare Anderson called into the show to discuss mutuality and becoming an opportunity maker.
Bené is a collection of scarves committed to help support girls in Ghana continue their secondary education by providing tuition, books and supplies. Each pattern is custom designed in house and named after one of the girls they help support. With each purchase, customers receive a picture of the girl and are able to learn more about her story.
Kare Anderson is an Emmy-winning former NBC and Wall Street Journal reporter, now connective behavior speaker and columnist for Forbes and Huffington Post. Anderson’s TED talk on The Web of Humanity: Becoming an Opportunity Maker has attracted over 1.3 million views. Discover more at her blog, Moving From Me To We.
In the headlines:
- The Atlanta City Council has finally OK’d the Tyler Perry/Fort McPherson deal.
- A former Georgia Mayor has been charged with insurance fraud. Former Milledgeville Mayor, Richard Bentley, 52, is charged with seven counts of misappropriation of insurance premiums and five counts of issuing fraudulent certificates of insurance.
- The city of Norcross is planning to demolish a Buford Highway shopping plaza called Plaza Latina using eminent domain to build a library and parking lot. Greater good??
- Lilly Pulitzer has seen their upscale brand thrive after their very short partnership with Target.
- Early 90s TV is getting a reboot. NBC is making a sequel to “Coach.” ABC is developing a new “Muppets Show.” Fox is reviving “The X-Files.” Disney Channel is bringing back “Duck Tales.” And now, Netflix is ordering a continuation of “Full House,” to be titled “Fuller House.”
- A new Wall Street movie will feature a female executive as the movie’s focus. The movie is called ‘Equity‘ and the script is based on scores of interviews with women — and men — working at big banks. There’s dealmaking, corruption and yes, some sexism. The lead role hasn’t been cast yet and the release date is not set.
- If YOU want to become a TV host, there is a great bootcamp being held here in town this weekend, April 25th and 26th. Marki Costello, host of The Drama Queen on E!, granddaughter of Lou Costello and Hollywood Agent will host the training. There are still a couple of spots left: becomeahost.com.
Help us #NameThePenguin! Send in your suggestions via Twitter @DanaHBarrett and @biz1190. We’ll announce the winning name on April 25 for World Penguin Day. Want to know the story? Listen here: http://bit.ly/1C2EAlc.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.