In the guest chair:
Owner and General Manager of School of Rock Johns Creek, Christina Simms joined Dana live in studio to talk about entrepreneurship, franchise, and the business side of music. Summer-Job-Genna Matarazzo was also live in the studio to share a Millennial’s perspective on breaking into the workforce.
The School of Rock is the music school your mom and dad wished they had when they were kids. School of Rock is an ingenious concept with performance based music programs. These programs are designed to create a collaborative environment where music students of all ages and skill levels are comfortable yet challenged at every turn. The team dynamic creates a supportive and motivating community where students feel inspired to shine, emphasizing the message that music is not just about playing and excelling at an instrument – it’s about collaboration, creating leaders and building confidence.
In the headlines:
- A new “inland” port in Georgia will help reduce truck traffic in Metro Atlanta. The Georgia Ports Authority and CSX Corp. signed an agreement Tuesday to open an “inland port” in Northwest Georgia that will reduce truck traffic in Atlanta by an estimated 40,000 vehicle moves a year. Operated by the ports authority, the Appalachian Regional Port will provide direct rail access to the Port of Savannah, reducing the need to move goods by truck through metro Atlanta from North Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and parts of Kentucky.
- The Emory Proton Therapy Center in Midtown at Juniper Street and North Avenue is behind schedule. The $200 million center was supposed to finish by October or November 2016, but San Diego, Calif-based Advanced Particle Therapy LLC still needs to secure financing to launch the second phase. It’s now targeting January 2017 to complete the development.
- Atlanta based Chick-Fil-A and UPS came in at No.2 and No.10 respectively on the 2015 Wall St. Customer Service Hall of Fame.
- The Arizona Cardinals are the first NFL team to hire a female coach. The team announced Monday that they had hired Jen Welter, 37, for a training camp/preseason coaching internship, coaching the team’s inside linebackers.
- Female executives are leaving Reddit, one after the next. Now 4 senior female staffers in less than 30 days. The women who have left: interim CEO Ellen Pao, popular admin Victoria Taylor and engineering chief Bethanye Blount and now Jessica Moreno, Reddit’s head of community. The company is working toward reducing the vitriol directed at women on the platform, but many, including Blount, say the effort is a lost cause.
Join us on Monday, August 10th for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club! Our August selection is Coined by Kabir Sehgal. If you’ve been meaning to read this, now’s your chance! Or, if you’ve read it before, time to refresh! We will meet at American Food & Beverage in Buckhead. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.