In the guest chair:
Strongbox West is the largest co-working and shared office space in the Southeast. Startups, freelancers, artists, and small businesses of all types come together to be more successful at Strongbox West.
TalentZoo.com is where creative, marketing, and advertising professionals around the country come for new job opportunities, career advice, and industry trends.
In the headlines:
- The Braves have confirmed that a new Omni Hotel will be part of the mixed-use development by SunTrust Park.
- The Falcons need more money for their new stadium and are looking to borrow $850 million in the form of a construction loan. This doesn’t change the $1.5 billion price tag, it’s just part of where the money is coming from.
- Beer in cans is now officially cool thanks to Evercan. It is a high-recycled, content aluminum can sheet produced by Atlanta-based Novelis Inc. that local breweries are now starting to embrace. It actually does a better job than glass in preserving the quality of the beer and it’s better for the environment.
- The Senate made history last week by confirming Loretta Lynch as U.S. attorney general (after months of GOP delays), making her the first African-American woman to hold the post. The delays were not because of her, but rather because of their anger over Obama’s recent executive action on immigration. Uch. Politics.
- American Apparel Board Chairwoman has told employees that ousted CEO, Dov Charney is NOT coming back to the company no matter how much noise he makes in the press or the courts.
- Spanx may have to shift it’s thinking a bit as women become more interested in comfort than they are in achieving the perfect shape.
- Should women embrace the ‘B’ word? Financial journalist, Nicole Lapin’s book titled “Rich Bitch,” is a best-seller and she thinks claiming the word takes away it’s negative power. Some disagree and think the term is degrading.
“What if marketing was less about promotion or coercion and more about reaching out to people and helping them to solve problems?” Bernadette Jiwa answers this question and more in our May book club selection, MARKETING: A LOVE STORY: HOW TO MATTER TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. Join us for the next Dana Barrett Show Business Book Club meeting on Monday, May 11 at South City Kitchen in Vinings. Get all the details and sign up to attend here: http://www.meetup.com/DBShow/.
For other events and appearances, check out Dana’s event calendar: http://danabarrett.com/events/.